Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Cindy Gets P-Whipped

Thanks to some very bad weather this month, I had no choice but to sit my tushie at home and work. I finished two novels, two short stories, and retooled an older collection of tales. Sub time! Though the synopsis--or suck-nopsis as I like to call it--is almost the most painful part of submissions, I think the worst has to be the waiting game. Which is not to say that publishers take too long to get back to writers. On the contrary, most provide a reply within the span of a month or two, but trust me when I tell you, a few hours would feel like an eternity once I've hit 'send.' And then, I turn into that girl I hate, that girl who waits by the email box like she's waiting for a phone call from an inconsiderate hook-up. I mean honestly, it's sad. I would never act this way over a guy, but for publishers, I get whipped. Hey, I like that, I'm p-whipped. Publisher-whipped. Okay, Cindy, focus.

Right, the waiting game. So here's how my day goes:
7am Check email in case the editor reading my submission couldn't sleep last night. Go work out
815am Check email again in case the editor reading my submission is an early bird.
9am Think about checking email, but decide that would be too pathetic
10am Give in and check email
1130am Think about checking email while making lunch
1pm Give in again and check email.

I could go on, but you get the picture. And I know, I know, the old adage goes, "A watched pot never boils." And yeah, checking my email incessantly won't make the replies come any faster, but it soothes my neurosis. To a point. Well, okay, that I obsess about everything is a direct result of my neurosis. Hey, I'm a writer. We're supposed to be a little nuts. Or a lot nuts. Yeah, I probably fall into the latter category, but I just can't help it. I know some writers who are emotionally divorced from their work and I wish, wish, wish I could be like that. But that's just not me. I invest myself in every manuscript I produce which I think is a good thing...even if it means I'm left waiting by the inbox, longing to hear those three little words: "You've got mail!"

No comments: