Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

#FitnessFriday -- Ice Queen

Okay, so ice queen might be a bit of an exaggeration, but at the age of 40, I've picked up a new hobby--ice skating! Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?

I first tried it in February while we were on vacation. I was terrified, but my son begged me to try. Needless to say my first couple attempts were laughable. But the more I figured out and the more I was able to move across the ice, the more I enjoyed the sport. Now, I can say that I'm totally addicted. There's something so exhilarating about gliding, footloose and fancy free. I feel graceful and beautiful (even though I've seen the video to the contrary, LOL). Then I found out ice skating burns between 350-500 calories per hour, depending on how fast you go. What's made skating even more fun is that my guy and my son are both learning with me so it's time we can spend as a family.

With the popularity of extreme work out programs, fitness boot camps, and Jillian Michaels screaming at you from the TV, it's easy to tell yourself that working out it just too hard and painful. Why bother? Believe me, no one hates exercising more than I do, but you don't have to kill yourself to get healthier. I chock my fitness routine full of fun: dancing, bike riding, active video games. Now, I have one more FUN activity I can do for my health. Plus, I get to buy pretty skating clothes. Booyah!

Have a happy and healthy week. I'll post more fitness tips for those of us who are athletically challenged next Friday!

Cheers,
Cindy
Fiction for the bad girl in every woman
http://cindyjacks.com/

No comments: