Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Holiday Bread Pudding #Recipe

If your house is like mine, the last bit of bread in a bag (what we call the bread butt) gets cast aside when a fresh loaf is purchased. My motto being waste not want not, I toss the butts in the freezer until I get approximately a pound. Then it's time to make bread pudding--a dessert with a very short life expectancy around the fam.

Usually I make the dish the traditional way--with condensed milk, cinnamon and raisins, but last year I had some leftover egg nog and decided to try an experiment. Turned out to be the best batch of bread pudding ever. So much so that my guys have requested I make it again.

Here's the super-easy recipe, hope you enjoy!

1 pound of stale bread, ground into fine crumbs
1 quart egg nog
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup of craisins (dried cranberries)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together, let sit for 10 minutes. Pour into greased 9 x 13 glass dish. Bake 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and serve dusted with powdered sugar.

4 comments:

fiona maclean said...

my kind of cooking! It looks very lush and entirely what I shouldn't make while I'm trying to lose weight

Foxx Miyamoto said...

LOL, I know, right? Luckily with my eating machines (aka DS and DH) desserts don't last to tempt me for very long.

Jess @UsedYorkCity said...

Omg, I LOVE bread pudding AND Egg Nog...I'm so gonna be trying this during the holiday season! Thanks for the fantastic tip!:-)

Cari Lorine said...

This recipe sounds delicious! Bread pudding isn't one of those traditional dishes in my family, but I'm going to try this. Thanks for passing along, Cindy!