Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bring on the Heat by Trent Kinsey

Today we have a bad boy with us! So exciting :) He's the one, the only--Trent Kinsey from Moongypsy Press. His tales of horror will keep you guessing and on edge until the very end. In addition to writing his lush prose, he is also the VP, layout editor, acquisitions editor for military fiction for MP. Yes, ladies, he's a former US Marine--oorah! Please welcome my talented friend and colleague, Trent!

____________________________


I spent Saturday, March 27, outside working in the yard all day and most of the evening (the truth is I really just drank beer because we didn't have all we needed to do the job, but I did do some work). It seems to always sneak up on me every year when the nights get shorter and the weather gets warmer. But the one thing that I don't miss when those small things sneak up on me is the joint pains that seem to haunt me during the winter months.

Around the end of 1999 I found out that arches in my feet had dropped, not a good thing for someone who had to run three miles at least three times a week. Well after years of running and carrying gear, I incurred a lot of damage from my feet up to my lower back. Not including the tear I had in my shoulder in late '05. Isn't it great being your own weather channel?

So every year around November, I start to feel my joints ache something horrible. Around that same time, I kick myself for not buying stock in OTC pain relievers since I'm one of the people buying the most of them. Some days I feel as if I have a ball of glass constantly swelling inside my knees and right shoulder. Others, it's hard to walk because my right knee always feels like it's going to collapse on me. For close to five months, I move slower than usual and seem to always grip the hand rails when walking up the stairs.

Then the magic of Mother Nature happens as it always does. As the clocks move forward the temperatures rise, taking the cold and pain with it. And though I still feel some pain as the mornings are still cold, my hopes rise as summer is on its way, bringing with it tropical heat that I grew up in and missed dearly when on active duty.

Needless to say, this time of year always excites me. I hope it does you too!

________________________________________________

You can find Trent's work at http://www.moongypsypress.com/kinsey.php

Also drop by his gorgeous website-- http://trentkinsey.com/

11 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh, my bad, I thought the aches and pains meant that we were getting older. Ok, I will blame mother nature, that just sounds better :-)

Warm weather....YAY!!!!!!

Trent Kinsey said...

lol. Well I'm sure both have something to do with it :D but I don't grow old lol...and aren't you like 21?

Maria said...

The saying used to be that you are only as old as you feel...well sometimes my physical body tells me that I'm older than what I mentally feel...I've been able to tell the change in seasons since I broke my ankle...it's kinda interesting being your own weather channel!

Trent Kinsey said...

Maria,

So very true :D
Usually when it becomes hard for me to walk, we're about to get rain. And when my joints stiffen, it's cold lol.

susan said...

Loved this interview and I am with you my man..you are only as old as you feel. Age is only a number . I like to reverse my numbers so I think 36 is a great age but if I am dealing with social security I will go to 63. I work part time which is my medicine for the back pain I get from a back that is gone bad. I guess that saying BAD TO THE BONE would apply to me. ahh ahh It was nice visiting here and your books sure do sound interesting to me. susan L.

Trent Kinsey said...

Thank you Susan! Yea I can agree that we're only as old as we feel lol. Just some mornings I'm older than others :D

Tabitha Shay said...

Amen!...Once you have broken bones, you are the weather channel! I know when it's going to rain or turn cold just from the pain in my joints and those previously broken bones...I've had three different bones broken, so it's really no fun when the weather changes...Trent, I for one know your books are delightful and keep you guessing. I loved Ghosts of the Storm and I know I've read another one or two or yours...Keep them coming...Tabs

Kristin said...

trent, I'm 29! And if you are only as old as you feel, then I'm creepin on 60 not 30, LOL! Sometimes, I'm in bed by 9, like naptime, I have been married longer than a lot of the people I know, and my knees and ankles and wrfists creek worse than the doors in a haunted house. Eh, it's all good, I'm a happy old fart :-)

Trent Kinsey said...

lmao Kristin. Yea I was trying to be nice and let you stay at eternal 21 like the rest of us :D But I hear ya!

Tabs, amazing enough I've never broken a bone, but still feel that ache that only comes with those wonderful changes in weather lol. Thank you so much for your support :D It always puts a smile on my face to have the great Tabitha Shay as a reader :D

Tabitha Shay said...

lol...Actually, I personally did not break any of my bones through any fault of my own I can give that credit to others...doesn't lessen the pain during a cold spell tho so I hear ya...bones hurt no matter if they've been broken or not...and joints...holy hell...I'd dearly love to be 30 aagain...ha...Tabs

Trent Kinsey said...

You kill me Tabs!

I'm in my thirties and still feel old as hell lmao.

Thank God for the VA!