Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Musings of a video game junkie


Okay, so yeah--I'm almost forty and I still love playing video games. I know it's silly and can be an expensive hobby and I know it's a waste of time...then again, is it really? I mean, playing video games is one of the ways my son and I bond. I also use it to wake my brain up after I've stared at the computer screen willing words to appear that just aren't flowing. And sometimes a rousing session of Mario Kart is just plain fun. I won't go into how much guilty pleasure I've derived from beating virtual prostitutes in Grand Theft Auto. Nor will I mention the gobs of virtual treasure I've spent upgrading my Skylanders...ahem, I mean DS Skylanders. A girl's gotta have a few secrets. But I will admit I find playing video games fulfilling in a way I don't completely understand. Perhaps they quench a thirst for the excitement and adventure missing from life nowadays. Or maybe part of me is still eight years old and thrilled to death by that newfangled Atari. Yes, I said Atari. We had Pong before that too. I know, I'm old.


Anyhoo, I'm not sure why I can spend hours upon hours glued to the Wii when I should be spending hours and hours writing or scrubbing the toilets or taming the now sentient pile of laundry from DS's room. Maybe it's because escaping reality is something we all need from time to time. Whatever the reason, I love video games and I'm not ashamed to admit it. But alas, now it is time to get some work done in the real world, but I've promised myself a video game break around noon...I mean those Skylanders aren't going to upgrade themselves, right?

Cheers,
Cindy

No comments: