Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Musings - Take a Break!

After my most recent drought, I'm thrilled to say that I'm back to my usual 2000-4000 words a day writing schedule. Like anything in life, there are times of great creative inspiration and times when I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. But I've discovered in the past few years that the dry times are just as necessary to the process as the times that I'm clacking away at the keyboard.

Cindy, you've lost your mind, you say? No really, it's true. Sometimes stepping away from the work-in-progress makes it all the better. How's that? Here's how:

1. Banging your head against a wall isn't going to make that wall move any faster than it does without your self-flagellation. A wise woman once told me that sometimes you have to go around the wall, not through it. If you find yourself stuck in the middle of a manuscript that is going no where fast, take a mental health day. Go shopping. Play video games. Cook a lavish meal. Clean the house (Gack! No, maybe not). Watch TV. Read. Do anything but think about that manuscript. I bet you'll find in a day or two, the solution to your plot puzzle will present itself. And you won't have a knot on your head for the effort.

2. Ever find yourself using the same phrases over and over again? It's easy to do, especially when writing erotic romance (really there are only so many ways to fit part A in to part B, am I right?). But it's also really boring for your reader to go through same descriptions, phrases and crutch words. Taking a break can give you the fresh perspective you need to mix it up a little.

3. A break recharges the batteries. As all authors know, writing can be exhausting, especially mentally and emotionally. If your creative tank is running on fumes, you need to refill before charging headlong into a brand new scene, chapter, umpteenth WIP, etc. Playing hooky for a day or two (or seven) can give you the mental boost you need to dive neck deep into whatever drama is playing out in your mind.

All that being said, I am excited to be back at the desk chair. The break was good, but now I'm back. My characters are chatting away. So please excuse me while I churn out some more fiction for the bad girl in every woman. Seriously, you would not believe the stuff that's going on in my head...lol, perhaps that's for the best ;)

Cheers,
Cindy

No comments: