Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Accidental Elikeh


Image reproduced from elikeh.com


Thursday night I was playing Mommy-the-chauffeur and I took DS to drop him off with Dad at Lake Anne in Reston. As luck would have it, there was a free concert in the plaza. It's part of the Take a Break Concert Series.

The weather was fantastic--not too hot, not too cool. The atmosphere of the Lake Anne Plaza was artsy and convivial as usual. I've always loved Lake Anne. This perfect setting mixed with the amazing Jazz meets traditional African meets Pop meets Reggae sound of Elikeh made for the perfect night. I relaxed by the fountain, got some writing done while DS played with other children (yes, it's a family-friendly event) and enjoyed the serendipitous beauty of the evening.

As for the main event--the band themselves--I have this to say: If you ever have a chance to see Elikeh perform...GO! They are amazing. The vocals, rhythm and melody blend to uplift your spirit. The percussionist is out-of-this-world. I swear it was all I could do to stay in my seat. Truly, I felt like dancing through the whole two hours. Bravo, Elikeh and the Take a Break Concert Series. I know what I'll be doing every Thursday this summer! June 21st is the Chris Vadala Band. Can't wait!

No comments: